Oregon handyman license: Everything you need to know
Looking for a career change? Explore your options as a handyman in Oregon. You can get employed by a reputable company or start your own successful business. This guide will cover the licensing requirements to get you started in the industry.
Do you need a license in Oregon to become a handyman?
Yes, you need an Oregon handyman license to perform the following work:
- Heating and Air Conditioning
- Tree Services
- Land Development
- Home Inspection
- Installation of Manufactured Dwellings
- Attached Appliance Repair
- Any other repair or construction related services
Jobs that you can perform unlicensed include:
- Cleaning gutters
- Cleaning debris
- Power washing
- Jobs that are otherwise minimal and inconsequential in nature
Acquiring an Oregon handyman license opens the door to a variety of jobs. However, some jobs may require additional licensing. Additional licenses to consider include:
- Plumbing licenses – Perform plumbing work with an average wage of $32.10 per hour
- Electrical licenses – Perform electrical work with an average wage of $33.94 per hour
- Elevator licenses – Perform elevator work with an average salary of $72,044
- Boiler licenses – Install or repair boilers with an average wage of $24.82 per hour
- Manufactured dwelling licenses – Inspect manufactured dwelling for safety with a pay range of $3,752 to $5,137 per month
- Contractor and business licenses – Perform general work with an average wage of $29.87
- Lead-safe licensing – Inspect and remove lead-based paint and other materials from properties with an average wage of $20 per hour
- Asbestos abatement license – Inspect and remove asbestos from properties with an average wage of $18.49
Largely populated cities within Oregon also require separate licensing. These cities include:
How much does it cost to get a handyman license in Oregon?
Here are the costs to obtain your Oregon handyman license:
- General Contractor application fee – $250
- License exam fee – $60
- 16-hour pre-license education and training – $49 to $550
- Surety bond – Varied cost based on job and requirements
- Insurance – Varied cost
How to get a handyman license in Oregon
To obtain your Oregon handyman license, you must be at least 18 years old. You also must complete at least 16 hours of pre-license training, including learning about business and law practices. You may only receive your training from an approved educator. You can choose to attend in-person classes or access courses online.
If you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial Building Contractors, you do not need the pre-license training. You must send proof of your successful completion of the exam with a passing grade to the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
Some of the best educators approved to provide training include:
- OnlineEd (online training online) – https://www.onlineed.com
- Big Step Training (online and self-study options available) – https://big-step-training.com
- Oregon CCB Training (online and self-study options in both English and Spanish) – https://oregonccbtraining.com
- Money Wise Contractor Education Co. (live classes with the option to attend online) – www.ccbclasses.com
After completing your training, you will get your license through the Oregon Construction Contractors Board.
How to use your handyman license to get a job
With a license in hand, you can find jobs in a few different ways. For starters, you can apply for company jobs by searching the newspapers and online job boards. Many companies hire contractors to work for them, providing you with steady, reliable pay. You also can advertise your services and work as an independent business owner. The handyman industry has experienced positive growth over the last few years. In 2018, revenue increased by $4 billion. There’s also a demand for new residential and commercial construction throughout the United States. Therefore, investing in a handyman license can help improve your wages.
Is my handyman license only valid in Oregon?
Oregan has reciprocity agreements with the following states:
- General Supervising Electrician – Arkansas and Utah
- General Journeyman Electrician – Idaho, Maine, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming
- Journeyman Plumbers – Idaho and Montana
How often do I need to renew my handyman license in Oregon?
Your Oregon handyman license is valid for 24 months. You are required to renew your license at least 8 weeks prior to the expiration date. The cost to renew your license is $250.